Saturday, September 26, 2009

Palms up, thumbs back!

Sometimes I get compliments on my posture. I do try to keep my spine in proper alignment, not only because it takes pressure off of my skeleton, but also because it makes me look thinner and more confident. Who doesn't want that?

So what is proper skeletal alignment? Glad you asked!

I have a little exercise for you- one that has come in handy and keeps me in check. And you can do it while you are sitting here reading my seldom-read blog. Ready? (This is so simple, it'll make you laugh!):

First of all, skooch forward a little, so that your back isn't in contact with the back of your chair anymore. Bend your elbows in front of your body, holding your arms at a 90-degree angle- like you are sitting in an arm chair. Now, turn your palms face up. Lastly, pull your thumbs back towards your body.

What did you do? Surprised? Yep! You sat right up strait, didn't you? THAT's proper spinal alignment, and the position you should be trying to achieve all the time.

It works equally well standing, also.

If you can do this little posture-check several times a day, sooner or later you will start to hold yourself in proper alignment naturally. Slouching will feel unnatural, and your body will thank you.

This, combined with conscientiously holding your stomach muscles in will help strengthen your core better than any ab exercise I can recommend.

This is also, coincidentally, the "proper alignment" and "neutral spine" people are talking about when they refer to exercising.

Let me know what you think!

4 comments:

  1. It works! wow! Something so simple. I'm going to tell everyone I know about this little trick. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. I'm not sure if I am doing this correctly: The elbows stay close to my body and I move my hands outwards in the direction that my thumbs are pointing (when my palms are up)... Does that sound right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only movement of the hands is to turn them so that that palms are facing the ceiling. After that, the only motion is the thumb moving backwards towards the body.

      Delete
    2. OK I see. I love this little trick! Very helpful.
      Thanks for sharing. :)

      Delete