Thursday, September 8, 2011

Protein Pancakes I Actually Don't Mind Eating!

After trying many recipes for protein pancakes and finding nothing I considered short of gag-inducing, I came up with my own recipe in sheer desperation of wanting a different way to combine my traditional oatmeal-and-eggs breakfast.

The two key differences in my protein pancakes is that I cook the oatmeal first, and I add baking powder. I think this helps the texture a great deal.

I will be the first to tell you that I am not a purist when it comes to clean eating. It's probably because I am lazy. At any rate, if this recipe does not measure up to someone's clean-eating standards, I apologize in advance, but making a super "clean" recipe wasn't my goal: Making a quick high-protein low-fat thing I cooked in a pan like a pancake and could put sugar-free syrup on was.

One more note before I share the recipe: While I love them and they take care of my pancake cravings, this is NOT going to taste like anything like the fluffy white pancakes you get at IHOP.  They are a different kind of pancake altogether.


Nancy Anne's Oatmeal Protein Pancakes:

First, cook 1/3 C oats in just enough water to make them really thick.

Next, spray a pan with non-stick spray and heat on Medium-high. (My burner goes from 1-10 and I put it on an 8.)  OR you can spray a griddle and heat it to 400.

While the pan or griddle is heating, mix into the cooked oats:
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I always use Beverly International's UMP.  Just seems to cook up the best without that weird taste protein powders can get when you cook with them)
- 1 egg white (This would be about 3T liquid egg white)
- 1 Tablespoon ground flaxseed (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, or to taste (optional)
- Small splash of vanilla extract
-  Pinch of salt

Mix well, then stir in just enough water to make it pancake batter consistency.

By now your pan should be good and hot. Pour about 1/3 of the above mixture into the pan. It should spread out by itself, but if it doesn't push it around until it's a round shape. Cook until the edges look dry, then flip and brown a little on the other side. (At this point it is mostly done, so no need to leave it sitting as long on the second side. You are just trying to make it un-gooey.)

Plate the pancake, and, if your pan is not non-stick, take it off the heat, spray with non-stick spray again, and repeat two more times. (If you spray it on the heat your spray will scorch and make the pancake taste not-as-good, never mind make the pan more difficult to clean.) If it's non-stick there's no need to re-spray and can just pour more batter in there.

If you are using a griddle, just make 3 pancakes.

When you are done, you will have three Oatmeal Protein Pancakes- it's a good sized plate of food! You can top with whatever you want. I use sugar-free syrup heated in the microwave and sometimes Smart-Balance light margarine.  

Here's a pic of my finished product:

Let me know what you think!

4 comments:

  1. Nancy this looks good. I have made pancakes with oatmeal in them, but never thought to cook the oatmeal first. Thanks for the recipe, I can't wait to try it!... I will let you know how it turns out!... ~ Dee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoying now! thanks for an edible and easy to prepare pancake. so tired of just egg whites and oatmeal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, I LOVE your disclaimer at the beginning! Ha! I am not 100% "Clean" either and always feel like I have to defend myself too. So, go you! This sounds delicious! I always shy away from protein pancakes too because they all sound terrible. I only have chocolate protein powder right now so chocolate pancakes it is!
    ~Ang

    ReplyDelete