Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Squatting Re-learned

The biggest difference to my body since I've started working with a personal trainer is my hips. I'm convinced that it's because the man has me squatting so much. Just about every single time we work lower body he has me doing some kind of squat. I keep telling him that he's squatting me to death!

I'll be the first to admit that I don't really like squats. Never have. They're hard, and I've always been afraid of injuring myself. The first time I did squats I did them too many times with too much weight and employed bad technique. I literally hurt my whole body. I could barely walk for a week or so. I probably should have gone to the hospital. Ever since then I've been leery of squats. But knowing what I do now, I think squatting should always be included in a lower body workout. Even when you dislike them like I do.

As mentioned in my last blog, my trainer is a power lifter. Therefore, the man knows about squats! Here are some things I've learned from him that might help you:

1. Take a wider stance than you think you need to (shoulder-width apart is usually a little wider than you think it is), and turn your toes slightly OUT. The way most of us learned, with toes pointing forward, isn't necessarily best. After doing some research I discovered that the toes-pointed-out version of the squat is a power-lifting stance. I'd had problems with my knees when I did squats with my toes pointed forward before, but haven't since I've started doing them with my toes out. My guess? The risk of injury to the knees is lessened in this position. I think power lifters, bearing those huge amounts of weight, discovered this long ago.

The other advantage to turning toes out is that it more recruits the inner thigh muscles. This not only involves more muscle in the exercise, therefore giving you more power, but also tones up this area faster than anything else I've tried for inner thigh to date.

2. Stay in your heels! Ross has had to work to drill it through my head to stay far, far back on my heels all the way through the move. This helps to keep the knee from jutting too far out over the toe and puts the emphasis where it needs to be- on the quads and glutes. Lean back hard on your heels on the way down and drive up through them on the way up. I'm so far back on my heels when I squat that my toes are almost lifted off the floor, and Ross often STILL tells me that I'm too much on the front of my foot. He harps on me about heels more than anything else. Evidently, it's a pretty important point to squatting.

3. You aren't going down low enough! I'm sure you've heard of the hard and fast "Don't let your thighs go below parallel to the ground" rule. This is a very valid rule, and you should follow it. However, parallel to the ground is MUCH lower than you think it is! When I finally got myself low enough that Ross approved, I felt like my butt was going to hit the backs of my shins. When I watched Ross do it, I thought it looked like HIS butt was going to hit the backs of his shins! But here's the thing- it's the FRONT of your thigh you are wanting to have parallel to the ground, not the back. If you have thick thighs like me, parallel is a very different thing when you are considering the front of your thighs as opposed to the back. I'll be honest: Coming down low like this is uncomfortable and awkward- especially at first! But it's recruiting more muscle, and therefore giving you a much better workout.

4. Your knees aren't out as far as you think they are. Another thing that I worried about with squatting in the past is the position of my knee over my toe. It's a widely known fact that when doing any kind of exercise your knees should not project past your toes. However, the execution of your heels as described in point #2 above prevents your knees from coming out too far and causing damage. So.... if you employ point #2(heels), it will ensure you don't hurt yourself with point #3(thighs parallel). Make sense?

5. Look strait ahead! This has probably been the hardest habit for Ross to break with me. I thought constantly looking down at my knees to ensure they weren't jutting past my toes was a good thing. But it was throwing me out of alignment, raising my risk of injuring myself. When you look to the side while squatting you subconsciously swing ever so slightly to one side, putting uneven stress on your joints, especially your knees. Pretend your neck is in a brace and look strait ahead!

6. If you are a woman, don't be afraid of squats! They do GREAT things for a woman's rear view!

After a hard squatting workout I always find it interesting that some part of my upper body (usually shoulders) is more sore and feels better worked than it did when I work that same body part specifically. That's because, while generally targeted for the quadricep (front of thigh) and glute (butt) muscles, squats literally involve the whole body, making muscles work in ways they've never been challenged before. And THAT'S a whole lot of bang for your exercise buck!

2 comments:

  1. Loved this! After starting to do the CrossFit workouts I watched a lot of their videos on squats and WOW has my form improved, and WOW do I feel it every where, especially my bum and inner thighs... As for #2 - they had this great contraption that was basically 2 thin boards that each had a string tied to them and then tied to a rod... You would stand on the boards and the trainer would stand behind you holding the rod. If a board slipped out, he/she knew you were lifting your heels.

    Congrats on all the awesome work you've done!
    Steph (Found you through a mutual team on SparkPeole :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this, Nancy!! I have always been deathly afraid of squats, but tried them yesterday after reading your blog. I know I need to work on going lower, but was very proud of myself for doing one full set of 12 reps with a 12 pound weight bar. After that my legs were too quivery, but no knee pain the next day!! I am now sold on squats and am going to make them part of my strength training routine!

    ReplyDelete