Friday, November 20, 2009

Gaining weight over the holidays is a choice.

No one forces us to gain weight over the holidays- we choose to do it with our actions.

No one makes you eat three slices of Aunt Maude's famous Rum Cheesecake- you choose it.

No one puts a lock on the gym doors to keep you from working out- you choose not to go.

No one is holding a gun to your head making you bake (and eat) holiday treats every day from Thanksgiving through New years- you're the one who chooses to do it.

Ouch, huh?........ Yeah.... me too!

As a holiday-weight-gainer myself, I am well aware that when I point a finger at anyone else for these choices, there are three fingers pointing back at me. But I've also decided that the weight gain is no longer worth the indulgence. So I've decided to make some changes this year. I hope that by sharing my strategies I inspire you to take responsibility for your not only your own health but also for setting an example for your loved ones this holiday season:

First of all, I've made the choice to view the holidays as just a few days or meals instead of a period of weeks. It's a lot less overwhelming to think of Thanksgiving dinner, Christmas Eve, Christmas, and New Years as four individual days. Anyone can stay in control for four days!

I've chosen to make smarter food choices and plan ahead what I am going to eat. No, it's not as fun as a feeding frenzy, but I'd sure rather budget it now than have to work to get it off later.

I'm not cooking an overwhelming amount of food that will throw me off, and I'm not keeping a lot of stuff in the house that will tempt me. As the chief holiday cook, I have the power. If the family really wants fudge, they can go buy it and eat it outside the home.

I'm purchasing a cheesecake with nuts for dessert on Thanksgiving. I'm allergic to nuts, so this totally eliminates a temptation. I will also be baking pumpkin pie, but it's not one of my favorites, so one piece should be plenty for me.

I don't plan on spending a lot of time in tempting situations, like holiday parties. And when I do, I plan to drink zero-calorie beverages and make one pass through the buffet making the best choices I can. I'll allow myself one special treat, but after this single trip past the food I'm staying away from it.

I'm already visualizing how I will handle temptation. I'm thinking through the holiday parties, the friend showing up with the unexpected treat to share, and the food being close at hand while I cook holiday meals. I am picturing myself handling these situations with wisdom and grace. If I've practiced it mentally, it should be that much easier to handle it in reality.

I have marked on my calendar my weekly Tuesday Weight Watchers meetings, complete with weigh-ins and staying for the meeting. For me, they are a non-negotiable appointment.

In addition to my Weight Watchers weigh-in's, I've added a weigh-in on Saturdays at home.

I've scheduled my work-outs and put them on my calendar. I also consider these non-negotiable appointments.

I've hired a personal trainer. It's a splurge, but knowing I have to look a big, buff 20-something in the eye twice a week helps to keep me honest.

I've consolidated the family holiday birthdays (5) down to one big family party. I plan to make this a very fun annual tradition. We don't need 5 separate cakes, and I don't need all of those parties in addition to the regular additional work of the holiday season.

And, probably most importantly, I have made up my mind that I am not going to gain weight between now and January. This is my body and my choice. I have the power, and I'm seizing it.

Hey, I'm not trying to make anyone feel guilty for eating holiday goodies. I'll have a few that are budgeted into my eating plan. And if you want to view the holidays as an opportunity to eat everything you like and gain 20 pounds, that's your choice and I won't hold it against you. But I want you to know that you can take steps to not go down that path if you don't want to.

It's all a choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment