Saturday, December 12, 2009

It's never too late!

If you think you are too old to change your physique, think again. It's never too late to make a drastic change for the better.

One of the things I love about the human body is that there are many things we can change about our appearances, and I'm not talking hair color. I' fascinated with the fact that we can drastically alter our bodies to be more of what we'd like them to be: A too-big body can be made smaller, a too-small body can be made bigger, and muscle can be added to change body overall body contours.

The wonderful news is that body you have is not the body you are stuck with. You can change it.

Weight lifting has added size to my shoulders and fat loss has deducted size from my hips. Both exercise and fat reduction have given me a small waistline. This combination has converted my bowling-pin shaped body to an hourglass. This is all by choice and design, friends. I have a very slight build through the upper body without muscle, but with it I look much more proportionate and feminine.

I'm not saying it's easy or quick, but YOU have the power to change yourself, too. You just have to claim it.

You know the old saying "You can't teach an old dog new tricks"? It's just not true. Us old dogs CAN learn new tricks. I'm 43, and I'm still learning new things...... and unlearning old, bad things. (Ask my trainer)

I think it's more that old dogs choose to be set in their ways than that they are not able to learn new tricks. If you want to be set in your ways, that's your business and choice. But don't blame the way you look on an inability to change. Areas of our bodies that are less than perfect are largely the result of our own choices.

The sooner you own the roll of your choices in your appearance, the sooner you'll be ready to start making changes to help yourself out. That's what I'm hoping to accomplish with this blog post: Moving people towards the right place mentally to start becoming healthier.

Not only can you change the shape of your body, but exercise helps to reverse the aging process. As I discussed in an earlier post, weight bearing exercise makes bone more dense, dramatically reducing the risk of broken bones as we age. It helps to keep one's height from shrinking so much with time. Exercise, to include gentle stretching, keeps our muscles and ligaments supple and therefore less prone to injury. And it actually helps us LOOK younger. People see a fit body and they automatically associate it with youth.

And, as I found out a few months ago, it helps you to recover from surgeries and other traumatic things that happen to your body more quickly. (As any woman who's nursed babies knows, there are some things exercise CAN'T fix- for those you need a good surgeon! ) Ask any doctor- the better shape you are in and the better your diet, the faster you heal.

Look, I don't necessarily want to look younger than 43- I just want to look like a really GOOD 43. And the best way to do that is to take care of myself from the inside out.

I don't care if you are 20 or 70, weigh 700 pounds or 115- YOU have the power to change your own body. Your physique is not destiny: It is a choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment