Thursday, January 14, 2010

Exercise- Your non-negotiable appointment with yourself.

How do I manage to keep up a 5-day-a-week exercise schedule? I make it a non-negotiable appointment with myself. If I didn't, I'd find every excuse in the book to not do it.

Exercise and self-care don't happen by accident. You have to be purposeful.

If necessary (and it probably is), write it down on the calendar, or your day-timer, or wherever you keep your appointments. And then make it non-negotiable. I mean, aside from an emergency (and by emergency, I mean an-ambulance-has-to-be-called-emergency), nothing is going to stop you from getting your workout.

There have been a few days when things happened and I couldn't get to the gym. For instance, we had a very unexpected snow storm here in Texas (THAT was weird!). Not only was the gym closed, but driving there was treacherous on untreated roads. So, I got up early before the family was awake and did step aerobics with a DVD in the living room and lifted weights with my dumbbells in the bathroom. (In case that sounds weird, my workout equipment is in a closet in the master bath.) If I wouldn't have had dumbbells at home, I'd of made it work with body-weight exercises. But I sure wouldn't have done nothing.

The point is, I made it happen, anyway.

It's a difficult way to start thinking at first, but eventually it's a habit and something you can't imagine not doing. Your family gets used to it being important to you... it all starts to fall into place.

But you have to take the first step: You have to schedule your exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment