Saturday, August 28, 2010

My Favorite Protein Shake Recipe

This is a diverse recipe I came up with that even my kids like. Everyone I've made it for asks me for it. I drink it most often post-workout.

The secret to making it a milkshake consistency is using frozen fruit. Any kind will work, but my favorite is the berries.

Into a blender put:

1/2 C plain non-fat yogurt
1/2 C skim milk or cold water
1 C frozen mixed berries
1 scoop whey protein powder, flavor of choice (I like chocolate the best)
1 tsp. olive oil (this can be left out- it's not imperative to the recipe)
Sweetener to taste (I use Splenda)
If I'm post workout I'll toss my powdered L-glutamine in, too.

Blend on high. If it won't move through the blender easily enough, add some cold water until it blends.

This is approximately 345 calories when made with the milk and equal amount of carbs and protein with about 7g of healthy fat. If you leave the olive oil out, it's 305 calories and no fat.  If you are on Weight Watchers it is a serving of dairy, 2 fruit/veggie servings, a lean protein, and a serving of healthy fat.

Let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! I wanted something like this because i am getting tired of just protein powder, ice and water!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would never have occurred to me to put Olive Oil into a protein shake - so that is cool. Def need to try.

    ReplyDelete