Saturday, December 10, 2011

My Suprising Weight-Loss Side Effect

Er... I'm about to talk about menopause, here, so any of you men who are uncomfy with the subject may want to skip this blog....

Is it just us ladies (and very brave men) now?  Okay.... then I can proceed:

One very interesting and unexpected side effect I have experienced with losing weight and getting fit is the disappearance of the side effects of menopause I had been experiencing.  I didn't make the complete connection until I read in one of Tosca Reno's books that she also has had no menopausal side effects since improving her lifestyle. 

I'm assuming this has something to do with the hormones that fat produces.  Reduced fat means reduced hormones, which could mean reduced symptoms. I also wonder if regular exercise plays in somehow.  But I'm not at all an expert on this subject, so really, what do I know?  I'm just grateful the night sweats, severe mood swings, and horrible headaches, among other things, are gone.

At 45 I don't think I've passed through "The Change" entirely.  But I started showing signs of pre-menopause 11 years ago, and at this stage of the game I have cycles perhaps twice a year (more than you wanted to know about me, isn't it?), so I think I'm getting close.  This also means, though, that I am at the point where I should be at the worst stage of symptoms, and instead I'm getting pretty much nuthin'.  No complaints from me!

My quest for fitness surprised me in a lot of ways, but I think this was the biggest one.  I'd be interested to hear if it happened for you, too.  And if you are still in the process of, or considering, improving your health, maybe this will give you one more motivating reason to keep on course!

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed a better quality of life when I was eating clean - most definitely. Somehow, though, I fell off the wagon and have been dragging along for about 5 months. Your blog was a good reminder to me about how much better I had been feeling. Thanks, Nancy.

    ReplyDelete