Saturday, September 29, 2018

Why the Thigh Gap?

Have you heard of this? That having a thigh gap is desirable? 

Apparently this is a thing with some people-  It is somehow important that they can see daylight between the tops of their thighs. 

First of all, I'm trying to figure out why....... That makes about as much sense to me as an armpit gap being a sign of superiority. It's bizarre and I just don't get it. 

Furthermore, aren't big butts a thing now? Has it occurred to anyone that the two might be mutually exclusive? 

At any rate, I think it bears noting that thigh gap has about as much to do with anatomy as it does with body fat. Possibly more. 

I know teeny tiny people who don't have a thigh gap and never will simply because of the way the top of their femur bone sits in their hip socket: If the socket is shaped so that the bone settles into it facing slightly out, they're less likely to have a thigh gap because the thighs are naturally (and healthily) closer together. 

On the other hand, those with femur's that turn slightly inward will naturally have more of a gap between their thighs- Sometimes even when their body fat is higher than is healthy. I know this, because I am one of those people. 

At about a dozen or so pounds above my idea weight, I will finally have a thigh gap. It's one way I know that my body fat is going down, even if my scale weight is not. It's a signal to me that I'm getting close to where I need to be. 

But it is in no way something that makes me superior to anyone else. Quite frankly, I'd rather NOT have the thigh gap and have the narrower hips, because it would be easier to find pants to fit. 

I know this blog isn't of much consequence. It's just something I've been pondering for a while now. 

I guess the moral is this: Just do you. 

Be the best version of you that you can be. 

That's all. And that's good enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment