Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Getting started with exercise at home, part IV

So now, it's time to come up with an at-home exercise plan.

I want to make it clear that this is my recommendation, but not a be-all end all to how one should start an exercise program. It's what worked for me, and has helped people I've advised. I know it works, but it's not the only way to go about it.

First, get out that book I said was the #1 piece of exercise equipment and choose one exercise for each major muscle group. For starting purposes, lets not get picky about which exercises to perform- any for that body part will do.

You are going to work your body parts in this order:
Quads
Hamstrings
Calves
Chest
Upper back (the lats)
Shoulders
Triceps
Biceps
Upper abs
Lower abs
Obliques
Lower back

Read thoroughly in the book how each exercise is to be executed, and keep the book next to you as you exercise. Refer to it frequently as you exercise, reviewing each exercise again before you do it (and as you do it if necessary). I cannot stress this strongly enough: Proper form is most important! Do the exercise exactly as demonstrated and pictured!

This first time through, do each exercise with no weights.

Yes, you heard me right- I want you to do the exercises this time through unweighted. This will help to ensure that you execute proper form and don't hurt yourself the first time out. If it makes you feel any better, the first time I try an exercise alone I always do it with no weight. I want to know how "proper form" feels before I add weight to it. This way I can tell the difference between "This is different because I have more weight added" and "This is different because something just ain't movin' right" without causing myself injury.

Do each exercise for one set of 15. (Refer to my blog about sets and reps, if you aren't sure what I am talking about.)

Really work on SQUEEZING the muscles you are supposed to be working both in the concentric (contracting) and eccentric (elongating) part of the move. (In other words, throughout the entire motion). Don't ever just drop the weight back to the starting position. Stay in control of the weight ALL THE TIME!

Keep a steady pace of about 2-3 seconds to get whatever body part you are moving up and 2-3 seconds to get it back to where you started. You can slow this down as you progress, but for now 2-3 seconds each direction is adequate.

When you are done, stretch all the body parts you worked (this should be covered in the book you bought, as well), holding each stretch for about 10 seconds.

And there you have it! That's how you get started.

The next time, if you feel ready, add light weights- start with the lightest ones you have if you still feel a bit shaky, but keep in mind that you want to progress fairly quickly to weights that feel challenging by the time you get to the end of the 15 rep set.

When you have completed all body parts, put that exercise DVD in and give it a whirl. It's a good idea to do at least 30 minutes of cardio, but more sure never hurts.

You can also move cardio to another time of day- it's perfectly acceptable to split your workout into smaller sessions. Currently I do my cardio at 5:30 AM and then get my weight lifting in closer to 10:30AM. Just fits into my schedule better.

When you feel you need more, do two sets of 15 reps of each exercise.

When you feel like you need more yet, switch to different exercises for the same body parts, always starting out at least a few reps with no weight, to get the feel for it.

When you feel like you need more than that, are starting to run out of time because the workouts are getting too long, or just want something different, Email me and we'll come up with a split (working different muscles on different days) that works for you.

No more excuses! Start moving!

No comments:

Post a Comment