Friday, June 17, 2011

Another Product Recommendation: Micro Steamer- For More than Just Veggies!

First off, I want to say that I am NOT a Pampered Chef consultant!  (I don't even know a Pampered Chef consultant, come to think of it!)

Now I want to ask a question:  Do you own a Pampered Chef Micro Steamer? http://www.pamperedchef.com/ordering/prod_details.tpc?prodId=251&catId=8&parentCatId=8&outletSubCat=

I've had one of these things for YEARS and all I thought I could make in it was vegetables.  It got quite the workout, but that was the limit of it's usage. 

Then we went to visit my sister in Phoenix last Christmas, who pulled hers out and used it to make slow-cook oatmeal in the microwave.  I was stunned!  I'd been making my oatmeal the old-fashioned way on the stove before that.  She just put the amount of dry oatmeal she wanted to cook in there, added as much water as she wanted, and nuked it for a few minutes.  No boiling over (my common problem with making it in the microwave), no watching it on the stove constantly and stirring so that it doesn't burn to the bottom.   She found it humorous that I was so amazed and said "It's good for more than just vegetables!".

So I went home to Texas and tried it for myself, and that thing has been getting a workout almost every day.  As a matter of fact, I think I need to get a second one because I find myself washing the one I have every morning to have it ready to steam veggies that night.  I think I might get the smaller one next time around.

At any rate, for 1/2 cup of dry oatmeal I put in about an equal amount of water (I like mine thick), put the lid on and nuke it for 2 minutes.  Then when it's done I let it sit a minute or two to soak up any additional water that didn't get cooked into it.  If it so happens that I put too much water in there and it's too soupy for me I just tip it over the sink, because the little steam holes also act as a strainer.  Then I add whatever I like to it (this morning it was pureed pumpkin, maple syrup, stevia, and cinnamon- yummy!).  After it's all mixed together I dump it into a bowl and enjoy. 

If I am having eggs and oats, I'll make my eggs while the oatmeal sits after cooking and then scramble the cooked oats in at the end of the cooking time.

Great way to get a quick hot breakfast before hitting the gym!

Maybe everyone else already knew this, but I thought I'd pass it on to any of you who hadn't thought of it before.

No comments:

Post a Comment