Monday, June 6, 2011

Don't Pre-load Your Fork!

This is a really simple tip that I heard somewhere lately (I think it was a Weight Watchers meeting): Don't pre-load your fork.  Wait to put more food on it before you are done chewing and swallowing the current bite.


I have a deserved reputation among family and friends for being a very fast eater.  This is going to sound like a excuse akin to "The devil made me do it", but I really was born this way:  There are literally photos of me screaming because my poor mother (who looks caught between amusement and horror) is not shoveling my baby food into my mouth fast enough.   When I went off to boot camp I got faster yet.  Then add motherhood to the mix and I developed the ability to positively inhale my food.

But when following the "Don't pre-load your fork" rule, I have to pay attention to my food and the process of eating.  This helps me to feel more satisfied, which, in turn makes me less likely to overeat.

Nothing horribly earth-shaking, but perhaps it can help someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment