Thursday, December 8, 2016

Sitting With Intention

When I was recently in California taking care of my mom for her knee replacement surgery I noticed something- She would just "drop out" when she sat down. About halfway down, she'd release all of her muscles and simply fall back into her seat. I knew it was because of her knee, but I pointed it out and told her that after surgery we were going to work on quads to help regain lost muscle.

Anyhow, this had me paying attention to my own sitting habits and you know what? I sometimes "drop out" of my lowering, too! I think this may be a getting older thing- As we age, we tend to naturally become less flexible and lose muscle. The lower you get into a sitting position, the more the quads have to engage (muscle) and the more the hip flexors stretch (flexibility). I don't want to be one of these older people with imbalances- It can lead to falls and injures later on in life. So I've been trying to pay more attention to sitting down with intention; Staying in control all the way down. Such a small thing, but something I think is worth paying attention to.

What do you think? Do you sit with intention?

No comments:

Post a Comment