Saturday, August 26, 2017

Middle Age is No Excuse!

This is going to be a controversial blog.  I already know this, and am prepared for the backlash.  :-)

I have arrived at the conclusion that losing weight after 40 isn't really that much harder than losing weight when we are  younger.  I believe the challenge comes in where our mindset is, not what our bodies are doing.

I don't know about you, but at the age of 50 I'm not as compliant with an eating program as I used to be.  I'm not as likely to follow rules.  I'm more set in my ways.  And I've seen many other people middle aged and older who are the exact same way.

I seem to think that I can put an extra half serving on my plate, not account for it, and not have it affect my weight loss goals.

I want to have ice cream when the rest of the family has ice cream, darn it.

I don't want to work out as hard as the people on the DVD I'm following.

Sound familiar?

Look, I understand that science has proven metabolisms slow down, muscle decreases (slowing metabolism down), and fat displaces as we age.  But I truly don't believe this is the main reason many see the "over 40 spread".  I think it's because we are more likely to be noncompliant.

So go ahead, bring it on..... I'm ready for ya!  But I'm willing to bet this wakes a few of us up and gets us looking honestly about our habits and making some changes that FINALLY get us moving towards a better body.

No comments:

Post a Comment