Saturday, January 1, 2011

Abs Are NOT Made in the Kitchen!

I've heard the phrase "Abs are made in the kitchen" quoted lately by a lot of people I greatly respect.  I've given it a lot of thought and have finally decided that, while I think I understand the intention behind this statement, I don't agree with it.  At least, not entirely.

You can eat right all you want to and reduce the fat on your body, but the muscle that makes abs is not made in the kitchen.  Mine were made mostly flat on my back on the floor doing ab exercises.  And since my kitchen has a hard tile floor, I can say with utmost certainty that my abs were NEVER made in the kitchen.  Uncovered in the kitchen?  Yes!  Made there?  NO!

I guess I don't like the phrase "Abs were made in the kitchen", because it gives the false impression that if folks just eat well enough, they'll have abs of steel.  Tight, muscular abs come from the hard work of exercise.  Getting them hard, however, requires dedication to reducing fat through diet.  Becuase let's face it:  Fat isn't hard, it's soft.  So if you have hard ab muscles but they are covered up by soft fat, you're still gonna have soft abs.

I've said before and will say again that you can build all the lean, strong, beautiful muscle you want to, but if it's covered up by fat no one is gonna see it.  It doesn't mean the muscle you are building isn't doing you any good, because it certainly is!  It's benefiting your health in a myriad of ways I won't take the time to go into here.  But the fact is that you won't be able to actually visibly SEE the muscular fruits of your labor if you are over-fat. 

It's always a two-part equation to building ANY muscle, not just abs:  Fat reduction and weight bearing exercises.  You can't leave one out and expect to see big results.

Abs are built in the gym and unveiled in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment