Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Lift, Even if You are Overweight

If you are overweight with no intention of reducing your calories and therefore losing weight, you are at an advantage for gaining muscle over those who are restricting their calories.

Yes, you read that right.

Let me rephrase: People who eat too many calories and lift weights have an easier time putting on muscle than those who are lifting and eating to lose weight.

You can't build a very big house on a wooded lot if you use only the wood from some of the existing trees on the property to build and ship the remaining wood to someone else. You can build a much BIGGER house by keeping your existing trees and bringing in additional lumber.

In the same manner, it's harder for the body to build muscle while you are taking calories AWAY from it. So someone who is overeating and lifting weights is probably going to put on muscle at a faster rate than someone who is trying to gain muscle while reducing calories.

Doesn't sound quite fair, does it?

But here is the deal, you can build SOME muscle if you are losing weight, and the good news is that you will actually be able to SEE it as your weight comes down. While the overweight person who is lifting the same weight as the thinner person is more than likely putting on muscle quicker than the thinner person, they probably won't realize it since it's covered by fat.

Case in point:

I was lifting weights heavily when I was at my biggest, which was here:



And the fact is that I was in the process of using my excess calories I was overeating to build the muscle I eventually uncovered here:





















Was I as healthy in the first photo? No! But at least I was doing something more with my calories from overeating than simply putting on a lot of fat.

And this explains why I was never in as big a clothing size as my weight said I should be: I was more solid under all that fat than even I realized.

Now, I still have a ways to go. My backside is NOT where I want it to be. My next goal is to build up those legs and glutes and make them something splendiferous. But in the meantime? In the meantime I'm very proud of the muscle I've worked so hard to build, and that I kept up the lifting, even when I felt like my body was almost past the point of improvement. I didn't know it then, but I was helping my future self out.

My point, of course, is that it's advantageous for even the obese to lift weights. The worst that will happen is that they'll put some of those excess calories to good use building something besides more fat. Never mind the other myriad of health benefits that come from lifting weights, to include improved balance and maneuverability, as well as stronger bones.

And the best that can happen is that one day they will gain the frame of mind to lose the weight, and what they uncover might surprise them.

It sure did me!

So if you are overweight and aren't lifting, START! As I like to say: Lift heavy, lift hard, and lift often. You never know how much you may appreciate your efforts in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Yeppers! This is so true. Even if one does not want to lose a pound their clothes will fit better with lifting because I have experienced that the fat is held better in the right spot. Sick I know.

    ReplyDelete