Monday, April 5, 2010

Weight Lifting Hunger

Do you have an issue with hunger, now that you've started lifting weights? This has been a concern with me in the past, too. Here are a few things I've do to combat this:

- I drink massive amounts of water. I mean, on average a gallon a day. Often more.

- I eat 6-7 times a day, which breaks down to every 2-3 hours. Yes, I know this is something you hear to do all the time, and I used to roll my eyes every time I heard it because I was so sick of the same advice all the time, but it really does help me to not be so ravenous when I lift. Plus, it's not as hard to wait when I'm hungry knowing another feeding is just around the corner.

- I have protein with virtually every one of my 6-7 feedings a day.

- I avoid sugar, white flour, and most processed foods. I don't know why, but I get a lot hungrier and have more cravings when that junk is coursing through my body.

- I try to do some cardio right after my lifting whenever possible. For some reason cardio seems to counter-act the hunger that the weight lifting causes to a large degree. Don't know why this is, but the fact is that doing this has helped.

I've also found that after several weeks of lifting the tendency to be so blessed hungry decreases greatly. Now, I really only battle it when my hormones are messing with me.

Admittedly, being hungry because of lifting can seem counter-productive and be a real mental mind-game when you are trying to be fit. But if you can work your way through it, the benefits of lifting heavy make the journey well worth it. And you'll feel better about yourself for having persevered.

No comments:

Post a Comment